Your Dunn, NC Board-Certified Orthodontist
Meet Dr. Astin Barnes
I love getting to know my patients and doing everything in my power to give them the best, most personalized care possible in order to create their dream smile.
I was born and raised in eastern North Carolina, but it wasn’t until I was in college that I decided I wanted to be an orthodontist. My dad had a skateboarding accident, and when the dentist fixed his smile, I saw my two favorite subjects — science and art — collide. I couldn’t stop thinking about how meaningful the experience was.
I love puzzles, which is also what interested me in orthodontics. I have to visualize the end goal before we start. I do this by getting to know my patients and listening to their unique smile goals. Once we have the pieces figured out, we can start putting them together in a caring, compassionate environment for a beautiful final result.
Education & Experience
After graduating from UNC-Chapel Hill with a degree in Exercise and Sports Science, I decided to stay a Tar Heel and attended UNC School of Dentistry. During dental school, I fell in love with the idea of changing people’s lives by improving their smiles and creating healthy bites.
Once I graduated dental school, I chose to take some time and give back to my community. I served as a mobile dentist, treating kids in their school who didn’t have access to regular dental care.
A year later, I moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, to begin my residency in orthodontics at Nova Southeastern University. While in residency, I earned a master’s degree for my research on children with sleep-disordered breathing and its effect on how their mouths develop.
Outside of the Office
I was born and raised in Wilson, and I’m proud to call eastern North Carolina my home!
As a kid, I played four sports (soccer, cross country, swimming, and track), took dance lessons, and worked as a lifeguard.
Though I only dabbled in playing the piano, I really explored my passion for music by following in my dad’s footsteps as a DJ (I was known as “DJ Lady AB”). I’ve always loved music, so don’t be surprised if you hear me singing or humming along to our office soundtrack!
In my free time, I love spending time with my husband, Anthony, and our fur babies, traveling to new places, spending time outdoors, going to the beach, and cheering on the Tar Heels and Hurricanes!
What Can You Expect With Dr. Barnes
“I really get to know you so I can provide a caring and compassionate environment. We spend years together, and I can’t wait to see you grow, achieve your goals, and gain confidence in your smile.”
Customized Treatment Plans
“Our treatment plan is designed to fulfill your unique goals. I will work with you every step of the way to restore and enhance your oral health.”
“As a board-certified orthodontist, I am truly blessed to provide you with a quality, lasting result. I have the tools and knowledge to design your healthy bite and beautiful smile.”
Education + Expertise
Education + Additional Training
- Nova Southeastern University – College of Dental Medicine, MS and Certificate in Orthodontics
- East Carolina School of Dental Medicine, Advanced Education in General Dentistry
- UNC School of Dentistry, DDS with Honors
- UNC – Chapel Hill, BA with Distinction
- Aligner Intensive Fellowship
- Tweed Study Course
- Speed Technique Course
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics
- North Carolina Dental Society
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- North Carolina Association of Orthodontists
- Raleigh-Wake County Dental Society
Awards, Certificates + Community
- Board Certification by the American Board of Orthodontics
- Board Certification by the American Board of Dental Examiners
- American Dental Association - Community Leadership Award
- Dental Foundation of North Carolina - Scholarships
- Coordinator and volunteer within several community organizations